There are fewer more frightening or challenging psychiatric conditions for a family to face than psychosis, an extreme mental state in which impaired thinking and emotions cause a person to lose contact with reality. This could mean hearing or seeing things that aren’t there (hallucinations), or believing things that aren’t true (delusions).
The illness most often associated with psychosis, schizophrenia, usually doesn’t show up until very late adolescence or early adulthood.
The word "psychosis" refers to a range of conditions that affect the mind, in which there has been some loss of contact with reality. A person with psychosis is, at times, unable to tell the difference between what is real and what is just in their minds.
Email to book your appointment
Symptoms, Precautions & Treatments
चक्षुषोश्चापसर्पणमिति॥(च नि ७/६)
धीविभ्रंशः सत्वपरिप्लवश्च पर्याकुला दृष्टिधीरता च।
अबद्धवाक्त्वं हृदयं च शून्यं सामान्यामुन्मादस्यलिङ्गम्॥(च चि ९/६)
Shira shoonyata – Disturbed level of consciousness, netra vyakulata – Involuntary movements of eyes , Uchvasa adhikata –eructations /belching , lalasrava- excessive salivation , Bhojana aniccha – anorexia, Arochaka- Dyspepsia, Avipaka- Indigestion Hrudgraha – Decreased cardiac output, Chinta bramsha –Confusion, Udarda- Urticaria, Chakkar – Vertigo
Psychosis is characterized by significant changes in a person’s perceptions, thoughts, beliefs, and behaviours.
- hallucinations – where a person hears, sees and, in some cases, feels, smells or tastes things that aren’t there; a common hallucination is hearing voices
- delusions – where a person believes things that, when examined rationally, are obviously untrue – for example, thinking your next door neighbour is planning to kill you
- Disorganized thinking (speaking in ways that are confusing), or bizarre behaviour
- Schizophrenia – a condition that causes a range of psychological symptoms, including hallucinations and delusions
- Bipolar disorder – a mental health condition that affects mood; a person with bipolar disorder can have episodes of depression (lows) and mania (highs)
- severe depression – some people with depression also have symptoms of psychosis when they’re very depressed
Psychosis can also be triggered by traumatic experiences, stress, or physical conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, a brain tumour, or as a result of drug misuse or alcohol misuse.
Viruddha ahara – Incompatible foods
Dushta Ahara – Infected /contaminated Food
Deva – Guru Dwija pragharshana – Insult towards teachers and elders
Mano abhigata – Mental shock
Bhaya – Fear
Harsha – unusual happenings /unusual pleasure
- Prakriti analysis of the patient
- Nidana parivarjana : Avoiding the causes is the main treatment protocol
- BAHYA CHIKITSA : (EXTERNAL TREATMENT)
Snehana : Intake of medicated ghee /oil according to the condition of disease.
Shiro Abhyanga – means performing massage on head
Svedana- (Fomentation / Sudation )It is type of treatment where sweating is induced , usually done after abhyanga or snehana .
Shiro pichu and shiro basti – These are also the treatment protocols followed where in case of shiro pichu , paste made out of herbal drugs are applied over the head for a particular time
Shiro basti : Which means pooling of herbal oils or medicated liquids on head and retaining for certain time periwithin a constructed compartment .
- ABHYANTARA CHIKITSA (INTERNAL TREATMENT)
Vasti – In case of Vasti ,Niruha basti is more beneficial , which is given through medicated kashayas
- Conservative line of management is followed to stabilize the mind , Brahmyadi varti , nimbapathyadi dhoopa , kalyanaka ghrutha etc can be prescribed .
- purana shaali – Old harvested rice
- purana gehu – Old harvested wheat
- Raktashaali – Red rice
- Moong – Green gram
- Dharoshna godugda- warm milk
- Purana goghrutha – Ghee
- Varshajala – Rain water
- Kacchapa mamsa – Meat of rabbit
- Snana –Bath
- Nidra- Sound sleep
- Abhyanga-whole body massage
- Sheetala lepa- Paste which soothens and which is cool
- Madhyapana – alcohol
- Viruddha Ahara – Incompatible food like taking fish with milk etc
- Atimamsa sevana- taking of excessive meat
- Ushna kadhya- foods which are pungent , spicy and irritative
- Vegadharana – Suppressing of natural urges
- Ati bharavahana- Lifting up of heavy things
- Ati maithuna- Excessive sexual intercourse
Want To Know More ?
Click To Discover More Treatment Approaches
Years of Collective Experience
What People Say ?
Blend of knowledge from Vedas and Modern Sciences. Dr. Vivek is one of the highly experienced and recommended doctor for the treatment of Kidney stones.
Dr. Vivek Ahuja medical team have give the good cancer treatment and all service for my relative now his condition improve and stable, so thanku so much Dr. Vivek Ahuja team and god bless your center.
Best place for Ayurvedic treatment. Dr. Vivek Ahuja has good expertise in Ayurveda and has resolved mine 10 years old thyroid problem.